Police protect match officials in Crewe's win over Notts County

Police brought out to protect concerned match officials in Crewe’s home win over Notts County after late penalty provokes furious travelling fans during crazy finale in the League Two fixture

  • Crewe’s League Two clash with Notts County was delayed by police presence
  • Travelling County fans fumed at match officials for awarding a late penalty
  • DOMINIC KING: I don’t understand what football is anymore – It’s All Coming Up

Chaos broke out during Crewe’s 1-0 victory against Notts County on Saturday when a stoppage time penalty provoked supporters and police made their way onto the pitch as the game was halted.

The League Two fixture went on for an incredible 119 minutes as Courtney Baker-Richardson secured victory for the hosts via a controversial penalty that rattled travelling fans.

Referee Simon Mather pulled up in discomfort three minutes into the announced four minutes of stoppage time with the score still level as both teams tried for a late winner.

His injury forced the end of the game to be delayed even further with the match official unable to continue and needing to come off.

A 98th minute penalty decision then prompted the fury of visiting Notts County supporters who watched the foul play called directly in front of them at the away end of the Mornflake Stadium.

Police had to come onto the pitch in Saturday’s League Two clash between Crewe and Notts County

Crewe’s Courtney Baker-Richardson scored a stoppage time penalty to win the match for the hosts

Officials were abused by travelling supporters for awarding the penalty that decided the game

Police were seen on the pitch amongst players and match officials after the game was halted

Your browser does not support iframes.

County forward Ryan Cooney’s cross hit the raised arm of Jodi Jones and the linesman waved for a penalty, however, there was a delay in the  assistant raising his flag.

Furious fans blasted the assistant who had decided to award the penalty and some in the stands allegedly tried to get onto the pitch to confront the team of match officials.

Police arrived to reinforce match stewards attempting to control the disorder and there was visible and audible discontent from those in the stands at the decision that had been given at such a crucial stage in the match.

Projectiles were reportedly thrown at the officials, while derogative chants could be heard from the away end. 

Some police made their way onto the pitch and engaged in discussions with players and match officials while the match was paused after one of the linesmen refused to run the line.

Concerned assistants Darren Wilding and Danny Gratton were protected by police who approached them while other members of uniformed officers stood in front of County fans in the stand.

Play was halted after County supporters fumed at the match officials from the stands and police were called in

Police arrive to support stewards and try to control tempers in the away section of the ground

The halt in the game dragged on with neither assistant allegedly wanting to stand inside the half containing the travelling supporters.

The game eventually restarted in the 109th minute once tempers had calmed and the full time whistle was eventually blown nearly 10 minutes later as the hosts sealed three points.

Players and match officials made their way back to the dressing rooms amidst raucous scenes while conflicting emotions were highlighted by both sets of supporters.

Crewe’s late winner ensured they leapfrogged Notts County into fourth place in the League Two standings and two points clear. 


It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify.

Your browser does not support iframes.

Source: Read Full Article