Daniil Medvedev makes emotional crying admission after US Open loss

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Daniil Medvedev has admitted that he was left trying not to “cry” after his US Open title defence ended at the hands of Nick Kyrgios on Sunday night. The 26-year-old was the reigning champion in New York but was beaten by the 23rd seed 7-6(11) 3-6 6-3 6-2 in the round-of-16, also guaranteeing that he will lose his world No 1 ranking at the conclusion of the tournament.

Medvedev’s US Open title defence came to an early end in the fourth round on Sunday night, as the top seed found himself on the losing end of a blockbuster clash with Kyrgios. Last year’s winner had been yet to drop a set at the tournament before the recent Wimbledon finalist defeated him for the second time in under a month, having lost their clash in Montreal where he was also the defending champion.

The 14-time title winner handled the defeat well on court during the handshake, but admitted how difficult it was for him to take after the match as he tried not to cry in his press conference. “I’m trying to look good here, but I’m disappointed,” he said after the two-hour-and-53-minute contest.

“Not going to cry in the room, but I’m a little bit disappointed.” And Medvedev explained how he would be spending his time after being knocked out of the US Open, adding: “For a few days I’m going to be just a little bit sad, looking at my phone, my laptop or watching some series.”

JUST IN: Russian tennis star hits back at LGBTQ+ remark after coming out as gay

And the current world No 1 admitted that the defeat was even more difficult to take after remembering that it would cause him to relinquish his top spot of the rankings to either Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz or Casper Ruud. “It was not the first thing on my mind walking after the match, saying, ‘Damn, I will not be the world No 1 any more.’

“I actually don’t know which place I will be. Probably 3, 4. I guess Carlos will pass me. I don’t know actually.” But the 2012 champion in Flushing Meadows was still full of motivation to earn the ranking back at the next opportunity as he assessed his Grand Slam performances this season.

DON’T MISS

Azarenka speaks out on exploitation of vulnerable young female players
Gauff compared to Djokovic as American odds-on for US Open success
Novak Djokovic skips Davis Cup to leave Serbia with tough task

“But that’s motivation, try to do better,” he said. “Obviously it was the last Slam of the year. Didn’t do well enough. Didn’t win in Australia when I had the chance. 

“Didn’t get the chance to play Wimbledon. Roland Garros, lost fourth round. Here fourth round. Yeah, [I] should do better, should get more points if I want to be world No 1 again.”

Source: Read Full Article