Australia star receives death threat warning him not to travel to Pakistan
Australia all-rounder Ashton Agar has been the subject of a death threat warning him not to travel to Pakistan for the upcoming series.
Agar has been named in Australia's Test, ODI and T20I squads for their first tour of Pakistan in 24 years, with the first Test due to start next week in Rawalpindi.
However, as first reported by the Sydney Morning Herald and the Age, Agar's partner Madeleine was sent a threatening message on social media warning the 28-year-old not to make the trip.
The report says that both Cricket Australia and the Pakistan Cricket Board were immediately informed of the threat and that there is a suggestion it came from India and not Pakistan.
In a statement, Cricket Australia said the threat was "not considered a risk" and that "extensive security plans" are in place to protect their players.
"Cricket Australia is aware of the social media post, of which the nature and content has been investigated by the PCB, CA and combined Government security agencies," the statement read.
"There are extensive security plans in place for this type of social media activity, which, in this case, it's not considered a risk. No further comment will be made at this time."
A section of the message reads: "This is a warning for your husband Ashton Agar if he comes to tour against Pakistan he won’t come [back] alive."
The situation is reminiscent of an incident which occurred last year with New Zealand's abandoned tour of Pakistan.
Martin Guptill's wife Laura was sent a threatening email ahead of the tour that was ultimately deemed non-credible.
The tour was scrapped at the last minute after New Zealand received a "specific and credible threat against the team".
Pakistan's Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry later claimed the threat originated in India and that the West Indies, who toured Pakistan in December, had received a similar one which was dismissed as fake.
Australia arrived in Pakistan on Sunday and Test captain Pat Cummins said he feels "incredibly safe".
Speaking after his side's arrival, he said: "I feel incredibly safe and we've been really well looked after by the Pakistan Cricket Board. There's been lots of security upon arrival. We were straight off the plane and straight to the hotel.
"We've got a pretty good set-up and we'll be confined to the hotel except for games and training. We've travelled to places like India where you don't leave the hotel too much so we are used to it. It's comforting and we're really lucky to be surrounded by so many professionals.
"One of the factors we wanted to be really thorough on before arriving here was not only security but also bio-security. Everyone has done a fantastic job, so we can just concentrate on cricket and really enjoy our first tour here for 24 years."
Source: Read Full Article