Porto vs Atletico Madrid descends into chaos, with full-on brawl

Porto’s Champions League match with Atletico Madrid descends into chaos, as players and coaches are embroiled in full-on BRAWL after Yannick Carrasco and Wendell are sent off in hot-tempered clash

  • Porto and Atletico each had one player sent off in ill-tempered Group B game
  • Yannick Carrasco saw red for Atleti after lashing out at Otavio in the second half
  • Wendell was sent off shortly afterward for hitting Matheus Cunha
  • Red cards sparked full-on brawls with players and coaching staffs involved 
  • Atletico won 3-1 to qualify for knockout stages of the Champions League 

Tensions boiled over in the second half of Atletico Madrid’s game against Porto, with two players sent off and all-in brawl involving both sets of players and several members of the respective coaching staffs.

After the first 45 minutes passed without incident, the game burst into life as Antoine Griezmann put Atletico ahead early in the second half. 

Barely 10 minutes later, the visitors found themselves down to 10 men as Yannick Carrasco was sent off for lashing out at Porto midfielder Otavio, who had attempted to take a quick free-kick.

Yannick Carrasco (second right) was sent off after taking a swipe at Porto midfielder Otavio

Carrasco first held onto the ball to prevent Porto from restarting the game, before taking a swipe at Otavio who had reached for the ball. 

As pushing and shoving ensued, the Belgian was knocked to the ground himself but that was not enough to dissuade referee Clement Turpin from sending him off.

Otavio was booked for his role in the melee, as were Atleti midfielder Angel Correa and Porto’s captain Pepe. 

The Atletico Madrid midfielder tried to prevent Porto to restart the game quickly

Never one to shy away from controversy, the veteran defender, a former Real Madrid player, had to be held back as he shouted threateningly towards Atleti’s defender Mario Hermoso.

Three minutes after Carrasco’s sending off, an even bigger brawl unfolded after Porto defender Wendell was sent off barely five minutes after coming on. 

The Brazilian defender reached for the ball as he tried to take a quick throw in in front of the Atleti bench, but appeared to strike Matheus Cunha with his elbow as the latter raced in to try and take the ball away.

Wendell (right) was sent off shortly afterward when he appeared to hit Matheus Cunha

The red card sparked a full-on brawl, with players and coaching staffs getting involved

Cunha went down right in front of his team’s dugout, sparking a full-on brawl as Porto players felt the forward had made the most of it.

Turpin showed Wendell a straight red, but the Porto defender bizarrely remained on the pitch for a few minutes, as the French referee looked to restore some calm before eventually ordering Wendell off the pitch. 

Correa and Rodrigo De Paul scored late goals for Atleti, as the reigning LaLiga champions finished second behind Liverpool to qualify for the knockout stages. 

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article