Newcastle’s Fernandez admits "it’s up to us" to help owners sign big names

Don’t wait around for updates – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!

Newcastle defender Federico Fernandez has said “it’s up to us” to help the new owners attract household names to the club, following the £305million Saudi-led takeover.

The takeover was completed last week with Newcastle lurking in 19th place in the Premier League and winless from the first seven matches under Steve Bruce.

Newcastle are now said to be the richest club in world football and have already been linked with several big-name signings, including the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Jude Bellingham and Aaron Ramsey.

And Uruguayan defender Fernandez has admitted it’s now up to his team-mates to perform in order to attract world class talents to the club going forward.

“It is up to us to win games again and maintain a good level to attract the players who can make us better,” Fernandez told Spanish media outlet AS.

Fernandez also explained that the city of Newcastle was revolutionised by the news of the takeover, which ended Mike Ashley’s 14-year spell as owner.

“The city was revolutionised by this news and by everything it generated worldwide. These are times of change in which we look to the future with great enthusiasm,” said Fernandez.

Who will Newcastle sign in the January transfer window? Let us know in the comments section.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

“We saw it in the press and later, on Monday, we had the opportunity to meet the owners after training. They agreed to return soon because now there are many who are with the national teams.

“They told us that they want to have a talk to convey what they have already said publicly: that it will be something gradual that will take time.”

Newcastle’s new era will begin when they play host to Nuno Espirito Santo’s Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday at St James’ Park.

And the Guardian say Bruce is set to remain in charge for the fixture, after having expected to be sacked earlier this week.

  • Steve Bruce
  • Premier League
  • Newcastle United FC

Source: Read Full Article