Newcastle told they can sign striker with £100m release clause for £50m ahead of January

Newcastle United v Manchester United: Pictures

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Newcastle have apparently been told they can sign Benfica forward Darwin Nunez in January – but the Magpies will need to shell out more than £50million to get their hands on him. Newcastle are desperate for reinforcements at St James’ Park as they look to stave off relegation.

The north east club have endured a dismal run of form this season and are 19th in the Premier League table after winning just one game.

The club were taken over by a mega-rich Saudi-led consortium in the autumn, with Eddie Howe coming in as manager after Steve Bruce was given the axe.

But Howe has struggled to make an impact on Tyneside, with the team picking up just six points from his eight games in charge.

Newcastle’s season could ultimately hinge on the players they bring to the club in the next month and club chiefs will be under pressure to get it right.

Howe is likely to be without Callum Wilson for some time after the star striker was forced off in the side’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United on Monday night.

MUST READ: Rio Ferdinand calls out ‘negative’ ex-Man Utd team-mate Gary Neville

That means Newcastle could make a move for Nunez to give them the firepower they need to beat the drop.

The Uruguay international has been in scintillating form for Benfica this season and has scored 13 goals in 13 games in the Portuguese top-flight.

He has also notched three times in the Champions League this season as his team booked their place in the knockout stages of the competition.

Two of those strikes came against Barcelona in September as Benfica humiliated the Spanish giants in a 3-0 victory. So he has proved he can mix it with the best.

DON’T MISS

Sir Alex Ferguson’s five most frightening hairdryer treatments

Man Utd exits, Chelsea sign Digne: Seven likely Premier League moves

Man Utd half-season report: highs, lows and an overall grade

Nunez arrived at Benfica from Almeria in September 2020 as the Portuguese giants signed him for a club record £20million.

According to inews.co.uk, the 22-year-old has a £100m release clause in his contract and Benfica would want at least half that figure to sanction his departure.

The talented player has scored 32 goals in 66 games for Benfica and is also set to become a star at international level with Uruguay.

Nunez has only appeared six times for his country to date and was ruled out of last summer’s Copa America after having knee surgery.

But legendary Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has tipped the forward for big things and has admitted he previously implored Barcelona to sign him.

“I have 15 years of international experience – so I know a thing or two about forwards,” Suarez revealed.

“And I told them, ‘pay attention to this one – he’s very good, he has very interesting things.’”

Barca could still try to lure Nunez to the Nou Camp, while Manchester City and Atletico Madrid are also rumoured to be interested.

Source: Read Full Article