Neville insists United's front three is the WEAKEST of the 'Big Six'
‘They aren’t as good as they should be’: Gary Neville insists Man United’s front three is the WEAKEST of the Big Six clubs after Ronaldo and Rashford fail to fire against Aston Villa… with Erik ten Hag urged to improve it in January
- Manchester United fell to their fourth defeat of the season away at Aston Villa
- Gary Neville criticised United’s forward line – saying it is not strong enough
- He said that they would take every other top six club’s forward line over their own
Gary Neville claimed that Manchester United’s forward line is the ‘weakest’ among the ‘Big Six’ clubs and urged Erik ten Hag to address it in January.
Manchester United fell to their fourth defeat of the season with a 3-1 loss away at Aston Villa – their first in the league at Villa Park since 1995.
Speaking on the Gary Neville podcast on Sky Sports after Tottenham’s defeat at home to Liverpool on Sunday afternoon, Neville was scathing of United’s forward options and implored Ten Hag to fix those issues.
Gary Neville said Manchester United must improve their front three to match other Big Six sides
Their front three on Sunday was comprised of Marcus Rashford, Cristiano Ronaldo and youngster Alejandro Garna
‘Manchester United’s front three, I think I actually said it last week, they are the weakest out of the top six. You think of [Dejan] Kulusevski, Harry Kane and Son [Heung-min], Manchester United would definitely take those three.
‘Arsenal’s front three – [Gabriel] Jesus, [Gabriel] Martinelli and [Bukayo] Saka – they’d definitely take them over the three they have.’
Cristiano Ronaldo and his fellow forwards on Sunday endured a frustrating afternoon in front of goal
He added: ‘Liverpool’s front three of [Darwin] Nunez, [Luis] Diaz, [Diogo] Jota, [Mohamed] Salah and [Roberto] Firmino, you’d definitely choose three of them over any of United’s.
‘Chelsea, I think [Raheem] Sterling, [Kai] Havertz and [Pierre-Emerick] Aubameyang, you’d probably even take those three.
‘I think Manchester United’s front players aren’t as good as they should be. Ten Hag, I think, is getting the maximum out of them.
Ten Hag watched on as his side fell to a 3-1 defeat away at Aston Villa – their first loss in the league away at Villa Park since 1995
Neville implored Ten Hag to add quality to United’s forward line this coming January
‘I don’t know where the money’s gone, again. I always feel like that with United, you look at the spend over the last four of five years and they’re still not as good as they should be.’
United have scored the fewest goals out of any side in the current top six of the Premier League having only notched 18 in their 13 games so far.
Manchester City have managed more than double that while Arsenal, sitting top of the league, have scored 13 more times.
United finished second in their Europa League group on Thursday as a result of failing to find a second goal against Real Sociedad. It means they face a play-off round to reach the last 16.
Perhaps surprisingly Neville said he would even take Chelsea’s forward options over United’s
Speaking after their agonising 1-0 win last week in San Sebastian, Ten Hag pointed to the injuries to Antony and Anthony Martial, two forwards signed at great expense, as reason for the club to have a look at bringing new players in.
Meanwhile, Neville added that he was not ‘wholly convinced’ by the idea that United are ‘back’.
‘They’re not back,’ he said. ‘They’re nowhere near Manchester City, let’s be clear. They’re more watchable and they’ve got a bit more fight, some of the players that they’ve brought in.
‘[Christian] Eriksen has brought real quality in midfield, [Lisandro] Martinez has done fantastically well at the back, he’s brought a tenacity in. But he (Erik ten Hag) keeps getting an injury to his pairing. He can’t keep a steady pair.’
Meanwhile the Sky Sports pundit rejected suggestions that United were back under Ten Hag
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article