Jones dismisses reports that Adams could leave Southampton for Everton

‘That’s not going to happen’: Nathan Jones insists Southampton have no plans to sell their top scorer Che Adams to relegation rivals Everton… as he also confirms the Saints will look to sign one player before the deadline

  • Southampton striker Che Adams has been linked with a move to Everton
  • Saints boss Nathan Jones has no plans to sell their top scorer to relegation rivals 
  • Click here to follow all the latest transfer news in Sportsmail’s live blog

Southampton boss Nathan Jones has given short shrift to reports striker Che Adams could be sold to relegation rivals Everton.

Adams, Saints’ top scorer with eight goals this term, has been linked with a move to Everton – who have just hired Sean Dyche as manager – before Tuesday’s transfer deadline.

Everton and Southampton are joint-bottom of the Premier League table with just 15 points and, while both clubs are keen to strengthen their squads, Jones insists there is no chance of his side helping the Toffees.

Southampton’s top scorer Che Adams has been linked with relegation rivals Everton

‘Let’s be honest, that’s not going to happen,’ said Jones, bluntly, at a press conference to preview the second leg of his side’s Carabao Cup semi-final against Newcastle.

Southampton have their own targets in mind as they look to pull themselves out of the bottom three.

Rennes winger Kamaldeen Sulemana is reported to be of interest but Jones would not give details.

Adams has scored eight Premier League goals so far this season for the struggling Saints

He said: ‘We can’t say anything on any names, that’d be wrong. There is nothing definitive on any of our deals but we are working tirelessly, constantly, at all levels to try to improve the squad.

‘We want to get one in, and we’ve worked so hard to get one in, but one that we can be certain can strengthen us here.

‘I don’t want a knee-jerk ‘just get anyone in’ and then put the future of the club in jeopardy.’

Jones is confident Saints’ potential deadline-day activity will not be a distraction from the small matter of attempting to guide his team to the final of a major competition.

Nathan Jones has also confirmed that his side will look to bring in one more player

Southampton have a tough task on their hands as they head to St James’ Park to face the high-flying Magpies trailing 1-0 on aggregate after defeat in the first leg at St Mary’s last week.

Jones said: ‘My role in terms of identification and affirmation of signings is all done. It’s whether we can get deals done for the players we want.

‘I’ll have total focus on trying to get Southampton to Wembley.’

Newcastle are strong favourites but Jones claims his team, who beat Manchester City in the previous round, will not travel low on confidence.

He said: ‘With the greatest respect, it (1-0) is an advantage but it can be a tricky advantage.

‘We have to do things right and make sure we start positively, and be our best. We’ll be aggressive, we want to go after the tie and we’d really like to get the first goal.

‘If we can get the first goal then a lot of things can change, and a lot of things will change.

‘The tie is open, the tie is still alive. We have to be the best version of ourselves. If that happens by 11 o’clock it might be a wonderful night.’

Jones has a fully-fit squad available. The likes of Adams, James Ward-Prowse, Kyle Walker-Peters and Gavin Bazunu – all rested completely or on the bench for Saturday’s FA Cup win over Blackpool – are likely to return. Duje Caleta-Car is available after suspension.

Everton meanwhile have just announced the appointment of Sean Dyche as their new manager

Source: Read Full Article