Alonso joining Aston Martin branded ‘strange’ by former Ferrari teammate Massi
Fernando Alonso’s decision to leave Alpine for Aston Martin has been branded “strange” by former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa.
Alonso stunned the Formula 1 paddock by announcing he has signed for Aston Martin on a “multi-year deal”, replacing Sebastian Vettel, who will retire at the end of the season.
The Spaniard had been expected to sign a new deal with Alpine, the Enstone-based team he won the world championship with in 2005 and 2006. But Alonso’s desire for a two-year deal rather than the one-year contract, which Alpine preferred, prompted the 41-year-old to explore other options.
READ MORE: Fernando Alonso’s Aston Martin move could see highly-rated pair get F1 big break
And another option opened up when Vettel announced he would be leaving Aston Martin and called time on his career last week. Negotiations between Aston and Alonso were concluded swiftly, and in secret, with the announcement catching most in the sport by complete surprise.
Among those surprised by the news was Massa, who raced with Alonso at Ferrari between 2010 and 2013. While Aston have big ambitions under billionaire owner Lawrence Stroll, the Brazilian fears Alonso will be left battling in the midfield for the final points positions in the short-term, not challenging the likes of Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes up front.
What do you think about Alonso's move to Aston Martin? Have your say in the comments section below.
“It was a bit strange to hear the news he had signed for Aston Martin,” Massa told Sky Sports’ Any Driven Monday show.
“I think Aston Martin has a lot to gain with Fernando there. I don’t know if Fernando has a lot to gain with Aston Martin. The most important thing for Fernando is to have a competitive car, to show what he’s able to do.
“But if things stay the same as it is now, Fernando fighting for 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th position I don’t think will be really interesting for him.”
- Read the latest F1 news from the Daily Star here
- Michael Schumacher F1 car expected to go for millions at auction
- George Russell says Mercedes have respected regulations more than Red Bull and Ferrari
- Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton united in reaction to Ferrari strategy blunder
- Martin Brundle grid walk ambushed amid Fernando Alonso snub ahead of Hungarian GP
Source: Read Full Article