Paddy Pimblett insists there's 'no truth' to him fighting 'Cowboy'

Paddy Pimblett insists there is ‘no truth’ to him fighting Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone but vows to ‘take someone’s head off in the O2 Arena’ on March 19 when the UFC returns to London

  • Paddy Pimblett made his sensational UFC debut with first-round KO last year
  • Next move is highly anticipated but he distanced himself from Donald Cerrone
  • It had been thought that the Liverpool fighter could take on ‘Cowboy’ 
  • But the 27-year-old believes he will be fighting on the UFC London card  

Paddy Pimblett has insisted there is no truth in the suggestion he will fight Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone next, but he is expecting to be back in action in London on March 19. 

Ever since ‘The Baddy’ made his sensational UFC debut with a KO of Luigi Vendramini last year, his next move has been eagerly anticipated. 

Chael Sonnen recently said he’d had a conversation with Cerrone, who believed Pimblett would be his next opponent, but it seems that is wide of the mark. 

Paddy Pimblett made a scintillating start to life in the UFC with a KO win on his debut 

He denies that Donald Cerrone (right) could be the next man in line to face him

Pimblett told Michael Bisping’s ‘Believe You Me podcast: ‘It’s going round everywhere, but there’s no truth to it. Nothing on my end. 

‘Do you really think that the UFC are gonna put me on a card on the 5th of March in Vegas when they’re doing London on the 19th? It doesn’t make sense…  

He went on: ‘I would like to fight in London, in front of my home crowd. It would be sick.

‘That’s what I’m guessing (will happen) and that’s what I’ve been told, that me and Molly will be fighting on the same card. That’s happening. 

‘I’m gonna take someone’s head off again in the O2. I’ll announce myself once again.’

That March 19 card, Covid permitting, is fast approaching and Pimblett insists he is yet to hear any news about a potential opponent.  

Eyebrows have been raised at the Liverpool native’s dramatic weight gain since his debut win after he enjoyed the fruits of his labours. 

Former UFC lightweight Paul Felder, now a commentator for the organisation, recently said: ‘I think he’s going to be a lot of fun. I don’t know where he’s gonna go right away. 

‘I think he’s gonna see some losses early in his career to some of these top guys, but I think that he’s just new blood, he’s new life.

‘The Baddy’, who pokes fun at himself over his weight gain (above), has been told by Paul Felder that it is not worth ballooning up in between fights 

‘The guy is hilarious, he’s fun to watch, he fights his ass off when he goes out there.

‘You saw him go for it. He’s kind of, doesn’t really worry too much about staying safe out there but he’s got the skills and I’m excited to see where he lines up.

‘I just like his style and I like his attitude.

‘But Paddy, stop blowing up to 200 pounds in-between fights, man. It’s not worth it.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article