Dillian Whyte promises maximum violence after Alexander Povetkin fight confirmed
Dillian Whyte has promised “maximum violence” when he faces Alexander Povetkin on May 2.
The British heavyweight will look to keep his world title hopes alive when he faces the Russian veteran at Manchester Arena.
Whyte, 31, has been promised a shot at WBC champion Tyson Fury before the end of February 2021.
But he must stay unbeaten to get that opportunity and remain as the WBC's No. 1 contender.
Whyte said: “I’ve got respect for Povetkin but I’m on to maximum violence, straight animal instinct.
“I want to be heavyweight champion of the world so anywhere in the world is my lion’s den.
Dillian Whyte tells Deontay Wilder: ‘I will snap your back you skinny little freak’
Dillian Whyte threatens to 'embarrass' Deontay Wilder by releasing WBC documents
“If you aspire to be world champion, you should be able to fight anywhere.
“Manchester is a great city with great fight fans and I’m looking forward to going back there.”
Povetkin, 40, was knocked out by Anthony Joshua in 2018 and struggled to a draw with American prospect Michael Hunter last year.
The Russian is a former Olympic gold medallist and his only other loss came at the hands of Wladimir Klitschko in 2013.
Mike Tyson ‘scared’ of himself, he admits in tearful outpouring on HotBoxin’ podcast
“You only have to look at his resume to see that he's always been considered as one of the most fearsome punchers in the heavyweight division with big KO wins,” said Whyte.
“This is a great fight, Povetkin is an Olympic gold medallist, has loads of experience, he’s a former world champion and he’s only lost to Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.
“He is still very dangerous, he gave AJ a lot of problems and then beat Hughie Fury.
DAZN confirms UK boxing launch as 'Netflix of sport' targets Premier League
“I am not overlooking him at all, he will come in shape, he’s tough and very well-schooled.”
Povetkin will be hoping to pull off a shock which would put him in pole position for a fight with Fury next year.
Fury is due to face Deontay Wilder again on July 18 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Then the Brit will hope to make an undisputed clash with WBA, IBF and WBO champion Joshua, who faces Kubrat Pulev on June 20 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Today's top sport stories on Daily Star
But if Fury is still WBC champion by the turn of the year then he will have to face the WBC's No. 1 contender.
Povetkin said: “I am pleased to fight Whyte, it has long been discussed but didn't happen for whatever reason.
“Dillian is a good strong boxer and it will make for an interesting fight. I am not about big announcements, I am about winning in the ring, and on May 2 people will see a spectacular fight.”
Source: Read Full Article