Conor Benn vs Chris Eubank Jr could still face U-turn with decision at hearing
Offbeat news from the world of sport
We have more newsletters
Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr’s £15m clash going ahead could be decided at a hearing today as Eddie Hearn battles to keep the fight on.
The bout was thrown into doubt yesterday after it was revealed Benn has produced a positive test for a fertility drug.
The British Boxing Board of Control insisted that they have “prohibited” the bout taking place on Saturday night at the O2 under their jurisdiction.
But it is understood Matchroom will seek an injunction to reverse that decision and allow the bout to go ahead.
READ MORE: Unbeaten boxer tells Eddie Hearn he'll ’save the show’ by fighting Chris Eubank Jr
Benn, 25, insists he is a ‘clean athlete’ despite the adverse analytical finding from a Voluntary Anti-Doping test conducted last month for the substance clomifene which can boost testosterone levels.
The Destroyer said: “I’ve not committed any violations. I’ve not been suspended so as far as I’m concerned the fight is still going ahead.
“I’ve spoken to Chris [Eubank] personally and we both want the fight to go ahead.
Do you think the fight should be cancelled? Let us know in the comments section.
“We both have taken medical and legal advice and we want the fight to go ahead for the fans.
“I’ve signed up to every voluntary anti-doping testing there is under the sun … all my UKAD tests have come back negative throughout my whole career.
“I’ve never had any issues before. My team will find out why there has been an initial adverse finding in my [Vada] test. We’ll get to the bottom of this and we’ll see you on Saturday.”
Eubank Jr agreed he wants the bout to go ahead but insisted he did not speak to Benn about the matter.
Benn’s promoters Matchroom and Eubank Jr’s Wassermann released a joint statement yesterday confirming the bout would proceed.
The BBBofC then responded saying they informed all parties yesterday morning that they did not want the bout to take place.
Hearn said: “We’ve just seen the British Boxing Board of Control statement which is pretty straight forward.
“It’s with the lawyers now going backwards and forwards.”
Hearn is arguing that UK Anti-Doping conduct drug testing for the BBBofC and not VADA so should not call the fight off and that they cannot suspend Benn.
Although it has been pointed out that VADA have been paid to test the fighters by those involved in running the event.
Another option for Hearn would be to bring in a foreign governing body to oversee the bout.
BBBofC general secretary Robert Smith did not respond when requested for comment.
VADA president Margaret Goodman said: “We don’t discuss individual test results on any fighter.”
Chris Eubank Jr cannot go anywhere without teddy bear he's owned for 33 years
Conor Benn vs Chris Eubank Jr called off as BBBoC stop fight after positive drug test
Conor Benn breaks silence after drugs test – before Chris Eubank Jr denies they've spoken
- Chris Eubank Jr
- Eddie Hearn
Source: Read Full Article